The Eclipse Foundation announced availability of its 2021 IoT and Edge Commercial Adoption Survey report, based on an online survey of more than 300 IoT and edge professionals conducted from January 12 to March 15, 2021. The survey’s objective is to gain a better understanding of the IoT and edge computing ecosystems by identifying the requirements, priorities, and challenges faced by organizations that deploy and use commercial solutions, including those based on open source technologies.
Survey participants represent a broad set of industries, organizations, and job functions. Five of the top conclusions drawn from the survey data include:
- IoT technologies are being adopted at an accelerated rate. 47% of respondents currently deploy IoT solutions and an additional 39% plan to deploy within the next 12 to 24 months.
- Edge computing adoption is also picking up. 54% of organizations are either utilizing or planning to utilize edge computing technologies within 12 months. Another 30% have plans to evaluate edge deployments over the next 12 to 24 months.
- 74% of organizations factor open source into their deployment plans, a 14% increase over the 2019 survey. This clearly demonstrates that the dominant IoT & Edge platforms will either be open source or based on open source.
- The top 3 IoT and edge operational challenges are: 1) End-to-end IoT solution monitoring and management; 2) Device management; and 3) Security (network/devices/data).
- There is a trend towards a Hybrid Cloud strategy. 44% of respondents suggest that their IoT deployments are using, or will use, a Hybrid Cloud (i.e., composed of two or more distinct cloud infrastructures such as private and public), an increase from 22% in 2019.
The report also includes details on IoT and edge adoption by industry and the top concerns of commercial adopters. To find out more, interested parties can download the 2021 IoT & Edge Commercial Adoption Survey Report.