To help mitigate this risk of cyberattacks, a new global alliance focused on cyber security has been launched. The Operational Technology Cyber Security Alliance (OTCSA) was established to help companies address the OT security challenges that continue to put operations, and consequently, business at risk.
Industry leaders ABB, Check Point Software, BlackBerry Cylance, Forescout, Fortinet, Microsoft, Mocana, NCC Group, Qualys, SCADAFence, Splunk, and Wärtsilä have partnered to establish the OTCSA.
The OTCSA mission is five-fold:
- Strengthen cyber-physical risk posture of OT environments and interfaces for OT/IT interconnectivity
- Guide OT operators on how to protect their OT infrastructure based on a risk management process and reference architectures/designs which are demonstrably compliant with regulations and international standards, such as IEC 62443, NERC CIP and NIST 800-53
- Guide OT suppliers on secure OT system architectures, relevant interfaces and security functionalities
- Support the procurement, development, installation, operation, maintenance and implementation of a safer, more secure critical infrastructure
- Accelerate the time to adopt safer, more secure critical infrastructures
Until now, there has been no industry group focused on improving cyber risk posture by providing tangible architectural, implementation and process guidelines to OT operators, so that they can navigate necessary changes, upgrades and integrations to evolving industry standards and regulations. These security guidelines will cover the entire lifecycle - procurement, development, deployment, installation, operation, maintenance and decommissioning - and address aspects related to people, processes and technology.
OTCSA promotes collaboration amongst leading IT and OT companies, thought leaders in the cyber security community and vendors and OT operators from a variety of industries. Membership is open to any company that operates critical infrastructure or general OT systems to run its business (OT operators) as well as companies providing IT and OT solutions (solution providers).