The concept of a smart city is not new, but it is still nascent and the definition remains quite heterogenous. Broadly, a smart city is connected, intelligent and optimized by a municipality to reduce costs, increase safety, attract investment, be sustainable, and enhance livability. To get there will require smart governance, the education of a smart workforce and smart citizens, the digital transformation of assets, and the deployment of sensor networks with ubiquitous multimodal connectivity.
Energize Your Smart City Effort with ARC Advisory Group
Smart cities present tremendous opportunities for industrial IoT vendors, but the technical challenges, vast number of players in this ecosystem, and the fact that it bridges private, public, and consumer realms makes navigating and succeeding in this market a challenge. Cybersecurity, connectivity and working with municipal bureaucracy remain the biggest challenges, but other obstacles include; exponential data volume growth, data cleansing speed, the need to go from cloud to edge architectures, quantifying results, interoperability, and human fears/resistance to transformational change such as Artificial Intelligence.
ARC analysts are the experts in all areas of industry, infrastructure, and cities. ARC has identified 12 key smart city application sectors:
- Smart Amenities
- Smart Building
- Smart Education
- Smart Environment
- Smart Finance
- Smart Governance
- Smart Health
- Smart Manufacturing & Construction
- Smart Public Safety & Security
- Smart Retail & Logistics
- Smart Transportation
- Smart Utilities
Smart Buildings Overview
Nine Ways to Work with ARC Smart Cities and Buildings Team
ARC's Smart Cities and Buildings Team and their varied basket of products and services provides the intelligence you need to grow and efficiently monetize your Smart City initiatives. Our analysts examine the dramatic impacts of a variety of technologies upon public agency functions including instrumentation and control systems, connectivity, interoperability, security and privacy including cybersecurity, as well as data management, computing resources, and information analytics.
- How to Engage with ARC Smart Cities and Buildings Team: We offer a range of engagement options, from standalone market research studies to custom research projects as well as an annual subscription option offering virtually 24/7 access to ARC’s entire range of analysts in the Smart City domain as well as process control and discrete manufacturing sectors. If you’re interested in learning more about these products and service options, please indicate your interest here – and we’ll get back to you promptly!
- Speaking and Panelist Opportunities: ARC hosts four very highly regarded conferences each year. If you’d like to speak at one of our conferences, and you have a compelling, insightful story to tell, please submit your proposal here.
- Schedule a Smart City Technology Briefing: Has your organization developed a unique product or a new approach to a Smart City problem? Submit here and we’ll schedule a briefing with your organization.
- Subscribe to Our Monthly Compendium of Smart City Blog Posts.
- Does Your Organization Need a Smart City Speaker for an Upcoming Event: ARC Smart Cities analysts are available to speak on all the applications and technology domains that we cover. Please submit your event particulars here – we’ll promptly schedule a discussion of your needs.
- Guest Blog Posts for Our Community of Subscribers and Ecosystem Partners: If you have a unique smart city application or technology story to tell, please apply to become a guest blogger on our platform here.
- View Our Current Smart City Technology Studies: Select 'Smart Cities' as the Study Type.
- Subscribe to Our Annual Advisory Service: ARC's Smart Cities Advisory Service delivers a comprehensive portfolio of knowledge-based products and services to keep you ahead of the latest industry dynamics and technological changes.
- Podcast Interviews for Our Community of Subscribers and Ecosystem Partners: If you have a unique smart city application or technology story to tell, please apply to become a guest on our popular Smart Cities podcast here.
ARC Client Quote
"We engaged ARC to assist us with a strategic decision. With their help and the use of the STAR tool, we were confident that we assessed our options both objectively and thoroughly. They helped us add several dimensions to our decision process, areas that we had not considered earlier and that could potentially have a significant impact on total lifecycle costs."