The Collaborative Robots Selection guide is designed to help organizations select the best collaborative robots technologies and supplier for their unique business requirements.
Collaborative Robots Supplier Selection Overview
ARC is the industry leading provider of market knowledge, trends, and supplier information for collaborative robots worldwide. Our products and services integrate hands-on experience with global market research to deliver the intelligence you need.
Choosing the right collaborative robot supplier and technologies to operate your plant can be one of the most important decisions you will make for your business operations for years to come. If you are unsure about any of the key trends in the market or are in need of purchasing criteria, then you need the assistance that ARC Advisory Group has to offer.
The global demand for robots is expected to accelerate in the years to come as the manufacturing sector across the world embrace new approaches to automation. Collaborative robots or cobots (derived from human-robot collaboration) are key smart factory technologies making manufacturing more efficient and competitive in the global marketplace. Unlike traditional robots that are complex and heavy, require protective guards, and are designed to function independently or with limited assistance, cobots are generally lightweight, programmable machines designed to work hand in hand with human beings to offer cost-effective, safe, and enhanced automation services to manufacturing of any size. Cobots can perform a wide range of tasks; however, ideal jobs for cobots are mundane, high-precision, burdensome tasks that do not require critical thinking or that require human interaction with dangerous machinery.
Fact-based Selection Process
The selection process begins with a definition of the scope of the project, including production processes, number of plants, and integration with other systems. With this understanding, an organization can make the appropriate team member assignments. Reviewing and editing the ARC-provided selection criteria to ensure that the list fits your needs requires a team effort. ARC recommends that once the list is complete, you develop the appropriate questions for suppliers. This organized and logical list of criteria can provide the basis for a Request for Information (RFI) that you send to suppliers you wish to consider. Evaluating supplier responses and developing a final ranking of RFI results is also a team effort. This process helps ensure inclusive, fact-based, impartial supplier evaluations and selections, while avoiding bias issues that typically hamper these activities. Incorporating the ARC selection criteria helps reduce effort and timespan for a supplier selection process, providing faster time to benefit.
Collaborative Robots Selection Strategic Issues
The following are a few of the supplier and technology selection issues that end users should consider:
Add Cobots for Manufacturing Efficiency
There is a growing need among end users to speed up the flow of product through the factory and consume a minimum of factory floor space. To address this problem, new robotic configurations are emerging, which lend themselves, at the very least, to greater efficiency. Collaborative robots are a massive new trend that make life easier for businesses by providing a safe and easy-to-program option and work alongside a human worker. Once you’ve purchased a collaborative robot, the next step is to integrate it.
Seek Suppliers that Embraced Digitalization
Global megatrends are rapidly transforming the industrial operations of end users. Suppliers now must embrace smart technologies and have deep application knowledge to offer valued solutions to end users. To this end, digitalization presents a huge opportunity for end users and suppliers. While digital transformation is picking up speed and is a catalyst for long-term competitive advantage for end users, this digital technology also creates new business opportunities and better services for suppliers. Digitalization helps create a path for the transition toward more connected and smarter systems to drive increased end user value.
Evaluate Supplier and Its Solution Capabilities
End users need to evaluate a supplier for not only its product portfolio, but also its solution capabilities for automation solutions. They should also evaluate a supplier for the important aspects of the application. These aspects include:
- How quickly can a more cost-effective route to an optimum solution be achieved with the supplier’s product portfolio and its experience in the similar applications?
- Can a high level of integration be achieved? Will a solution be scalable?
- Does a solution allow end users to customize for their unique requirements very quickly and cost-efficiently?
- Does a solution offer forward compatibility for maximum investment protection?
- Does the supplier offer a consulting approach that will help view automation as a business enabler and help create a business case to justify the investments?
More Collaborative Robots Strategic Issues to Understand
ARC has been researching the collaborative robots market for many years, and we understand the challenge companies have in selecting and implementing a solution that will meet their simple unit, machine, or plant-wide requirement. These include:
- Compatibility with current installed base of technology
- Integration with business systems – model-based enterprise trends
- Integration and interaction with the workforce, i.e., humans
- Machine learning and artificial intelligence support enterprise
- Consider connected machines and production lines
- Support, training, and spares
- Architecture based on standards
- Designs for maximum reliability
- Supplier long term viability
- Identify long term visions
Collaborative Robots Selection Guide Table of Contents
- Major Trends
- Industry and Regional Trends
- Challenges and Solutions
- Market Players and Competencies
- Factors Contributing to Adoption
- Factors Inhibiting Adoption
- Strategies for Successful Adoption
Evaluation and Selection Criteria
- Key Criteria Analysis
- Fact-based Selection Process
- Consider Best Practices by Suppliers
- Selection Process Tools Available
- Criteria List
Leading Supplier Analysis
- Market Shares of the Leading Suppliers
- Leading Suppliers by Region
- Leading Suppliers by Industry
- Aerospace & Defense
- Cement & Glass
- Electric Power Generation
- Electronics & Electrical
- Food & Beverage
- Oil & Gas
- Pharmaceutical & Biotech
- Plastic & Rubber
- Pulp & Paper
- Water & Wastewater
- Other Industries
To be able to make an informed choice, you need to know who the major suppliers servicing this market are. These guides will provide you with the names and links to information about them.
For More Information
For more information on this technology guide or to discuss how we can help you, please contact us.